Beef jerky is a popular snack that is known for its high protein content and smoky flavor. At Mahogany Smoked Meats, we offer a wide variety of premium jerky online, including beef jerky. One question that many people have when it comes to beef jerky is “Can you freeze beef jerky?”. The answer is a resounding yes.
In this blog post, we will explore the topic of freezing beef jerky, including tips for how to do it properly and other useful info.
Why Would You Consider Freezing Beef Jerky?
What do you do when you have a bulk amount of beef jerky and you're not sure if you'll be able to finish it before it goes bad? When considering how long beef jerky lasts (which is roughly six months at its prime), your best bet is to freeze it.
Here are a few reasons why freezing your beef jerky is a great idea:
- To have a supply of beef jerky on hand for unexpected visitors or events: Whether you're hosting a party, or friends drop by for a visit, having a stash of frozen beef jerky on hand can be a lifesaver. Simply thaw it out and voila, you have a delicious snack ready to go.
- To prevent over-eating: Beef jerky is a high-protein snack that can be easy to over-eat. By freezing it, you can portion out what you're going to consume later on and avoid overeating.
- To prevent the jerky from going bad before it can be consumed: Beef jerky can last for a while, but it's not going to last forever, especially if you've opened the package. Freezing can help to preserve the quality and taste of the jerky for a longer period of time.
- To save money by buying in bulk and freezing for later use: Beef jerky can be quite expensive, especially if you're buying it in small packages. If you find a good deal on beef jerky, consider buying in bulk and freezing it for later use.
- To take advantage of sales and discounts on beef jerky: Buying large quantities of beef jerky when it's on sale can be a great way to save money. However, if you're not sure you'll be able to consume it all before it goes bad, freezing it can be a great solution.
- To have an emergency snack or meal on hand: In case of power outages or other emergencies, having frozen beef jerky on hand can be a lifesaver. Eating beef jerky for protein can keep you full for a long time and can be consumed without any cooking or heating.
If you're considering freezing your beef jerky, it's important to note that freezing and thawing beef jerky can affect its texture and flavor. However, with proper handling and storage, you can still enjoy your beef jerky even after it's been frozen. We’ll get into that later.
Can You Freeze Beef Jerky?
So can you freeze beef jerky? Of course! Some better questions are if it freezes well and if you should even do it in the first place. That’s what we’ll answer next.
Does Beef Jerky Freeze Well?
Beef jerky is a popular snack that is known for its high protein content and long shelf life. However, many people are asking if freezing it is a good idea, and if so, whether or not it will still maintain its quality and taste. The good news is that beef jerky can be frozen and still be consumed, but there are some things to consider before doing so.
When it comes to freezing your beef jerky, the quality of the jerky can be affected by the freezing process. The texture of the jerky may change slightly when it is frozen, becoming slightly harder or chewy. However, this does not mean that the jerky is no longer safe to eat or that it is no longer tasty.
The taste of the jerky will still be intact, but the texture may be slightly different.
So how long will beef jerky last when frozen? It is recommended to consume it within 6 months for the best taste and texture. The longer it is stored in the freezer, the more the texture and taste may be affected.
Should You Freeze Beef Jerky?
Keeping a stock of beef jerky on hand can be made more convenient by freezing it, this will help the jerky to last longer and always be on hand. Freezing it can make it more durable, easy to pack, and bring it on the go without worrying about spoilage.
Incorporating beef jerky into your diet as a source of protein is made more convenient by freezing it, this way you always have a source of protein on hand.
Experimenting with different flavors or brands of beef jerky is made easier by freezing it, so you can try different options without committing to a large purchase. If you want to make sure you have a long shelf life for your beef jerky, freezing it is a great option.
And for those wondering can beef jerky go bad after opening, the answer is yes. We’ll get into that and more next.
How Long Will Frozen Beef Jerky Last?
So how long will frozen beef jerky last? And can beef jerky be frozen for longer storage or does it affect the taste and texture? It's important to keep in mind that the shelf life of frozen beef jerky is around 6 months for the best taste and texture.
This is especially true after it’s been opened because it becomes more sensitive to the elements.
While some people have had success in keeping their beef jerky for 1-2 years in the freezer, it's not recommended. The longer it is stored in the freezer, the more the texture and taste may be affected. Note that freezing does not increase its shelf life indefinitely.
Tips for Freezing Beef Jerky and Maintaining its Quality
Freezing beef jerky can be a great way to preserve the flavor and texture, but it's important to take the right steps to ensure that the jerky stays fresh and delicious. After ordering our premium beef jerky for sale, here are some tips to help you freeze it properly:
- Use airtight containers or freezer bags: When freezing, it's essential to use airtight containers or freezer bags to prevent air from getting in and causing freezer burn. This will help to keep the jerky fresh and prevent it from drying out.
- Keep it dry: Before freezing your beef jerky, make sure that it is completely dry. Any moisture on the jerky can cause it to spoil more quickly in the freezer. This is true regardless of what part of the cow is beef jerky in your case because there’s always moisture.
- Divide it into smaller portions: To make it easy to grab and go when you're on the go, consider dividing your beef jerky into smaller portions before freezing it. This will also help to prevent freezer burn as the smaller portions will thaw faster.
- Use the right temperature: Make sure to freeze your beef jerky at the right temperature. A temperature of 0°F (-18°C) or lower is ideal for beef jerky.
- Label and date your jerky: It's important to label and date your beef jerky before freezing it so you know exactly how long it's been frozen.
- Don’t thaw and refreeze: Keep in mind that freezing and thawing beef jerky repeatedly can greatly affect the texture and taste of the jerky. To maintain the best quality, it's best to avoid refreezing after thawing altogether.
- Use the refrigerator instead of a microwave when thawing: When it's time to thaw the jerky, it's best to use the refrigerator rather than the microwave. This can help prevent any compromise to the quality of the jerky.
Final Thoughts on Freezing Beef Jerky
In conclusion, freezing your beef jerky can be a great way to enjoy it for longer but it's important to follow the proper steps to maintain its quality.
At Mahogany Smoked Meats, we offer a wide variety of high-quality, delicious jerky options, including wild boar jerky, turkey jerky, fish jerky for sale, elk jerky for sale, and buffalo jerky for sale.
Whether you're looking for a protein-packed snack on the go or a gift for the jerky lover in your life, we've got you covered with the best jerky online anywhere on the internet. Visit our online store now and taste the difference of our premium, slow-smoked meats.